More organizations are embracing qualitative methods like ethnographic studies and video diaries. As design researchers we can see the value of early contextual research, but how does that translate into actionable insights? In this collaboration, we convene an expert group of UX practitioners engaged in contextual research to talk about what we do and how we do it. We will share and learn from each other and collect success stories, challenges, and failures to share with the broader UXPA community. Attendees will learn best practices in conducting contextual research, how to approach and tackle time intensive data collection and analysis, and how to gain organizational support by providing actionable insights from contextual research.
In this collaboration, we will convene an expert group of UX practitioners engaged in ethnography and diary studies to talk about what we do and how we do it. We will share success stories, challenges, and failures to reflect upon best practices.
The collaboration will focus on the following questions:
- How do we plan, conduct and run contextual research studies?
- What are some key insights that can only be discovered through contextual research?
- How do you conduct contextual research online, either with digital tools or researching online environments)?
- How do you analyze, organize and leverage data from these studies?
- What are the most compelling ways to share research from these studies?
- What are your biggest challenges in conducting contextual research?
Who should attend and how to apply
If you are an experienced UX practitioner who has conducted diary studies, or ethnography to inform design, join us for this half-day of sharing stories and knowledge building.
Interested? Prepare a short, 2-page proposal that includes a short biography and a summary of your experience with these methods. Also, please address one (or more) of the following:
- A case study: What did you research, what did you learn?
- A war story: What mistakes did you make, what did you learn?
- A triumph: How did an insight form research transform a product or design?
- A question: What is the biggest challenge you face in this
- A tool: What tools support your research from data collection to analysis
More information on this session is available here: https://uxethnography.wordpress.com