Join host Chris Hass, former UXPA International and UXPA Boston President, for a fun-filled Q&A with our 2016 UXPA Lifetime Achievement Award winner, Susan Dray. Learn all about what makes Susan an asset to our field and to the UXPA community.
Although all of the UX professionals nominated this year were amazing and have made fantastic contributions to our field, Dr. Dray was selected for her dedication, innovation and expertise.
Who is Dr. Susan Dray?
Susan has been described by her peers as a pioneer in the field of HCI, a leader, and a role model. She has influenced so many in our industry - from students to seasoned UX experts.
Her contributions to the world of research, HCI and UXPA are massive. Susan has been working in the UX profession for nearly 35 years, 25 of which have been as president of Dray & Associates, conducting user experience design and research for both small firms and Fortune 500 companies.
Dr. Susan Dray has experienced many “firsts” in our industry:
- One of the first to do field research using ethnographic methods
- One of the first to do international usability evaluations
- Taught and popularized ethnographic methods widely
Susan has had numerous articles published in professional journals and conferences, conducted tutorials, taught courses, and lectured at major universities. At one point in her career, she was the Director of Publications of UXPA and was instrumental in expanding the UX Magazine. She also coordinated efforts and resources with other UXPA publications, including the Journal of Usability Studies. Susan has continued her involvement with UX Magazine by contributing articles and book reviews.
This award is not her first (and we doubt it will be her last!).
Susan has been honored with many awards during her prestigious career:
- Lifetime Achievement in Practice, ACM Special Interest Group in Computer – Human Interaction (SIGCHI) (Highest award in SIGCHI). 2015
- Member, CHI Academy, SIGCHI. 2014
- Fulbright Scholar Award to Panama (Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá). 2013 – 2014
- President’s Award, User Experience Professionals Association (UXPA). 2013
- Distinguished Engineer, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2008
- Lifetime Service Award, SIGCHI. 2006