Poster

In-Flight Rerouting Decision Support System for Unexpected Weather Changes

I investigated how an electronic tablet/device can be a solution for general aviation pilots. The aim was to describe the essential design requirements for a decision-support system as tablet-based flight planning app. Ultimately this app provides graphical information about weather changes (sudden) on current flight path and in-flight rerouting options.

How Web Design can Save Americans from Poverty in Old Age

Thirty years ago, most American employees could rely upon a pension to cover 60% of their retirement expenses - the other 40% coming from Social Security. But the shift from paternalistic to self-directed retirement saving has resulted in decreased financial
security. Americans often end up postponing savings for reasons including fear of being too far behind to catch up, anxiety, and feeling overwhelmed by the complicated decisions.

Is it Smart to Read with RSVP on a Watch?

The rise of small screen devices, especially wearables, calls into question the best way to maximize limited screen space. Previous studies have examined various text presentation methods in order to understand the best way to read on small screens. This presentation describes a study comparing rapid serial visual presentation (RSVP) with traditional, line-by-line reading on a smart watch. RSVP presents text sequentially one word at a time in order to take advantage of limited screen space.

The Researcher's Blind Spot: Ways in which lurking biases can undermine your research findings.

During the research process, there are potential biases lurking everywhere.  Most often, the industry has focused on ways in which interviewer bias can affect a participant’s responses during a usability testing session. Here, we take a step back and examine ways in which bias can occur throughout the entire span of the research process. We draw upon experimental psychology research to highlight various ways in which unconscious biases can affect the recruitment process, feedback and testing sessions, and the reporting of research findings.

Recruitment

Embracing the User: Building User Centered Design System that Enhances the Productivity of a Growing Silicon Valley Company

In my previous role, management identified growing inefficiencies in their business practice due to rapid growth and asked the on-shore UX team to research and identify ways to create more effective in-house processes.  We worked to create a business process that aligns stakeholders, promotes creative thought and meets business needs while keeping the user central to the structure of each business and product decision.

Visual Perception and Product Design

Human visual perception is limited, imperfect, and subjective. Humans perceive the world by organizing and attaching meaning to sensory stimuli in our environment. Understanding and applying principles of visual perception to our designs will enhance a user's  experience. We can better predict and understand how users will interact with products. We can create a more holistic design that communicates our intended message to the audience.

Small Vertical Slices: Just-in-Time UI Development

In Agile/Lean/etcetera development methods, we often discuss breaking a feature into small increments that can be delivered sequentially. But how often do we view our core interaction UI with the same critical eye? In this poster, I’ll present an argument for carefully approaching interaction design in small increments that support core functionality and show an example from a current projectime at Autodesk.

User Experience Design of Virtual Training Environments

As new technologies are developed, we need to adapt and apply UX methods based on a deep understanding of the new domain and context. Designing virtual environments for healthcare training is a challenging application of UX principles. Interface and interaction requirements are elicited from not only a usability standpoint, but also an instructional standpoint, guided by a real-world need for skills training.

Pages